Sunday, June 05, 2005

In Denver

I have not done a really good job updating this but here is a quick post of what I have been up to:

  • Working as a consultant at IT Handyman Corp (www.ithandyman.com).
  • Visited Kansas City for family get together, it's nicer than you think.
  • Have been invited to go to Lake Powell for houseboat mayhem, thinking it over.
  • Been offered a well paying job at the South Pole again, fighting with myself over this one.
  • Interviewed with Northrop Grumman for a job.
  • Had a virus in my eye - painful. Even more so with no insurance.
  • Hoping to fit in time down in Southfork, CO with family friends.
  • Determining I need more single friends. Basically it is Tim and I in the singles world everyone else is tied down.
  • Put on 10 lbs, time to start working out.
  • I have read everybook in my possession, anyone want to swap? Maybe library card time.

Thanks for stopping by... Blur



3 Comments:

Blogger Blur said...

Chris,

Your email is set as a no reply so I will post my response here...

Your best bet is www.polar.org. That lists all jobs for Raytheon in Antarctica. Raytheon Polar Service Company is in Centennial, Colorado (just outside of Denver). I am currently signed up to be the Systems Admin and they have the Help Desk Lead (for the Pole). They are looking for Network Engineer (Cisco) and satellite tech. There are of course many other jobs at McMurdo and Palmer not to mention the research vessels.

If you have further questions please let me know (job titles, what's hot, what's not).

Regards,

Patrick McClure

11:49 AM  
Blogger Blur said...

Chris,

MSCE is probably overkill. A MCSA is probably sufficent. Call the HR department and ask about the recruiting fairs. I don't know where you live but most of the fairs take place in Denver and Alaska because the canidates there usually can handle the environment (Altitude-Denver, Cold-Alaska). You need to win a HR person to your side to even get an interview, so get a name and try to work them. You'd probably want to start with the IT McMurdo HR rep. Also tell them you are willing to be an alternate. I was an alternate at McMurdo when the Network engineer NPQ's (failed the physical) for the Pole. They bumped the guys up and gave me the Help Desk Lead job (plus a nice lift in pay).

At Raytheon Polar, it is all about who you know. Merit is secondary to having a relationship to someone within the company. Once your in you can come back forever (it is a government contract after all).

If you wanted, email me your resume and I'll get it to the Director of South Pole IT but he hired his last guy yesterday. You could get an alternate spot and learn the PQ process.

Later... Patrick

11:57 AM  
Blogger Blur said...

My email is pmcclure AT ithandyman DOT com. I have the director of IT for McMurdo but have no idea who is currently HR rep.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home